The lowdown on J-DAY....

If you are struggling with your application or just want to share your pearls of wisdom with others less fortunate post your message here.

Moderators: Katy, Kerry, Deeps, Nicky

The lowdown on J-DAY....

by Rebecca1594 » 27 Apr 2007, 14:19

I just wanted to give me expiriences to the rest of the CA people, who have yet to go to London (that's where mine was today). And have the joys of J-Day.

I have to say my apppintment was at 8 am, this morning and I found it was alot busier than I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE (The quie before you going into the embassy). Everybody seemed cold but, the atmosphere was great. Everybody was doing the Camp America experience, and some people who had done this all before, gave me great tips in the line.

I liked how the CA representatives, helped you get your papers in the order the embassy wanted, and made sure you had all the relevant papers, so there was no embarassing moments inside.

Once I got through security (They didn't seem very happy this morning, alot of people were forgetting to take items off that may obviously set the machine off, when I was queing in.) It all seemed pretty straight forward, about 8:15 I got into the embassy with a girl I got chatting in the queue with, and we got various instructions, a form to fill out for our passport to be returned

TIP: Today, they had the option that if your passport is sent through CA rather, than to your home address it's actually free. I asked for it to be sent home anyway, but don't take my word for that, but just a handy tip for you

Got chatting to two blokes in front of me and the girl I got talking too in the queue, and as this was there 4th year doing Visas and camp, they had lots of tips and this was our first year.

I got called up, and handed in the relevant documents. The person who looked through them was very friendly and made me feel at ease. He took my documents, I sat down again and about 15 mins later I got called up for the one-on-one interview, which basically had three questions
"Are you Miss.Watson"
"Where are you going this summer"
and
"Have you worked with children before"

Seriously- then she turns around as says "Thank-you that's fine, have a nice day"! DONE! After a 3 question interview (Oh and reviewing fingerprints)

Handed in my passport form, requested t-shirt size, and left approx 9:15!

All in all it was not a bad day really, as I was one of vfirst appointments the backlog was not that bad, so I was not really waiting that long, the staff from both the CA And the Embassy were friendly (apart from security, though I suppose it's a very serious job)

My top tips for J-day would be
* Wear comfortable shoes
*If you do not understand instructions, ask A CA reperesentative. They are thier to helf, and are happy too, they want you all to get the viasas.
* Double check your documents before you go! (A CA rep will go through the order of which to put them in)
*Try and strike a conversations with those around you, they all have tips/experiences and your all thier for the same reason

And finally the phone questionm, after so many e-mails saying DO NOT BRING ELECTRONICAL GEAR. I found that lots of people were simply handing them into CA representatives, and If I had known this was an option I would have brought my phone.

Hope this little trip report helps, anymore questions feel free to pm me or e-mail [email protected]

Love
Bex x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

by Carly7727 » 27 Apr 2007, 17:35

yeh the j-day was great. This morning i was out at 8,50!! it was so great! tiring though......

by Tamsin7806 » 27 Apr 2007, 17:36

i went today too, my appointment was at 9, i got there 15 mins early but didnt get in til after 10! it was cold, SO BRING A JACKET! (2 guys i met in the queue regretted not doing this!). also make sure u wear trousers that will stay up without a belt lol!

i also found that people were okwith mobiles (they had to leave them with security outside though) but if you can help it, dont take one!

Once inside it moves QUICKLY so listen out for your number first, then the 2nd time listen for you number and booth1 i missed it and ended up having my name called out!

The "interview" is nothin to worry about, its just a person behin a screen asking you a quick question- mine was 'tell me a bit about your camp' and then he said approved all done, bye1 and that was it!

In and out in under 10 mins (after id actually GOt in!)

by Ellen2268 » 28 Apr 2007, 15:11

My appointment was at 2 pm, I got in the que at half 1 n was out again by half past 2. It was really easy, I think the afternoons are a bit quieter, they seem to try and pack everyone in before 12.

Another tip is to listen carefully to the american voiceover that tells you your window numer, there were a few kerfuffles and last calls for numbers because its quite hard to understand! And also, watch the screen to see when your number comes up

xxx

by Leanne1536 » 13 May 2007, 23:54

so are you sent a jaday appoontment when you are given a placment and are these jdays all the time?

:?

by Jack4209 » 14 May 2007, 16:05

I think my 'Nightmare on Grosvenor Square' embassy experience was much more interesting :wink:
2007: New England Tennis Camp
2008: Camp Wekeela

by Rebecca1594 » 14 May 2007, 23:15

Jack4209 wrote:I think my 'Nightmare on Grosvenor Square' embassy experience was much more interesting :wink:

True, but if I had your expierience I would have screamed with the stress!

Love
Bex x
[/url]

by Rebecca1594 » 14 May 2007, 23:17

Leanne1536 wrote:so are you sent a jaday appoontment when you are given a placment and are these jdays all the time?

:?

I got my placemtn in June, when I went to the CA recruitment fair in London,
I got an e-mail for the 30th March Visa date, but it got cancelled, then then moved me to a J-day. I don't know what happens if you don'r have a placment, but I assume they will do your like everyone elses!

Love
Bex x
[/url]

by Emma8886 » 03 Feb 2008, 14:15

Just thought i would bump this up to the top as the advice is great for us 1st timers
[/url]

Rick Hill Resident Camp - Mahopac - New York - Girl Scouts