Missing camp?

For everyone that took part in CA in summer '07 - keep the summer vibe alive people!!!

Moderators: Katy, Kerry, Deeps

Missing camp?

by Sarah4810 » 02 Nov 2007, 23:35

I miss camp so much! I had a phone call from one of the permenant staff earlier asking me questions. I was the only international staff member this summer and because they had such a good experience with me, they are planning to hire more international staff (although they say they don't know if anyone can match up to me! Haha what an ego booster). He was just asking me random questions from the CA forms (like, what is an A level? - haha)

I miss the community, being surrounded by people who genuinely love you SO much for just being you, seeing the kids smile constantly, being surrounded by my campers, jumping in the lake with all my clothes on because it's too hot, Adam Boyd the camp director just generally being the geek that he is, the way the outside world doesn't matter.

Gosh, just writing all that has made my eyes well up.

So, what do you miss?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

by Anna2605 » 03 Nov 2007, 02:43

I really miss camp too - I have already applied for next year but it feels like everything is taking ages to happen.

The things I miss most about camp are: the campers, swimming to The Rock, singing camp songs - I really love camp songs, working with people who like me were there for the campers and to have great summer. I really miss the sunshine and lack of rain. And I miss Micheals and Walmart.
A.K.A Smudge and CA forum addict!
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

Location: forumland - counting down until I enter CA forum addiction treatment center called Camp Chenoa

by Sarah4810 » 03 Nov 2007, 16:36

Oh I know, things seem to be going so slowly! I check the page every day and it's never different! :(
[/url]

by Anna2605 » 03 Nov 2007, 20:35

i am exactly the same - everyday I check, but no change. So i check again later and still no change. The worst thing is the last couple of days I wasnt able to check cos my computer wasn't working and I hated that cos I couldn't check. I also check my mail every day for the letter from camp tha I know isn't going to arrive until at least the end of this month, maybe mid december. The waiting is the worst thing when you are like me and very impatient.
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

Location: forumland - counting down until I enter CA forum addiction treatment center called Camp Chenoa

by Shelley0789 » 03 Nov 2007, 21:06

things i miss about camp:

- singing (even though i am not the best) and camp songs
- last night camp fires
- shack parties
- hugs - the best hugs ever are camp hugs
- friendship
- being random
- pranks, oh so many pranks
- "code blues" - i was kind of ill this summer and had a lot of trouble breathing, but everyone was amazing - even the kids, they knew exactly what to do in an emergency and how to get help
- being outdoors
- the sunshine
- camp names
- taking photos
- drama, its amazing how much goes on there that i find out about a year later
- fake real names
- the singing piece of concrete that we had instead of the singing shrub which had replaced the singing tree
- driving on the other side of the road
- larkins pond
- Lt. Dan, the number one maintenance man
- the attic of hoho
- girl scout cookies
- campfires
- sharing a room with someone - i realised when i was in new york, that the one evening i was on my own in the hotel (someone was joining me there the next day) was the 1st night on my own in like 3 months.
- pj breakfast on outgoing day and not getting dressed until like 2pm
- tb quat - killer of germs and wombles (not a good thing to use when u have problems breathing)
- musical pom poms aka ipod with speakers under pom poms - which amazingly played music
- sock hops
- sleepover in longhouse
- science experiements
- you call the shots - esp the british tea party
- camp visitors
- Lt. Dans end of session party
- sinking a sail boat
- the new floating dock to replace the one we sank last summer
- buddy tag
- pink eye - ok maybe not!
- trip to the hospital where they gave me a free boston red sox blanket! woo
- secret buddies
- not so secret buddies
- leaving random notes for people to find around camp
- DELS!
- being able to be myself
- explaining to the usa staff and kids what a womble is (my camp name)

i think i'll stop now - dread to think how long the list would be if i kept going! But yes i do miss camp a lot, its become such an important part of my life over the past four years. i think the hardest thing for me this year is the not knowing if i'll be going back there next summer - i have interviews to work on a cruise ship as youth staff in january, which depending on how that goes, it might mean no camp for me! :? But either way i think it'll be good, so for now i have started my camp application and shall have to just wait and see! which would be fine but i'm kind of impatient and want to know where/what i'll be doing!

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

by Anna2605 » 03 Nov 2007, 22:54

I miss Dels too (and I havent had it in years) - I think next year I am going to have to get my friends to go to Providence on a session break.

I miss my camp name too - I am a different person when I am Anna.

There are soo many things I miss.

Swimming to the rock
kayaking before breakfast
the bright pink tents that a breast cancer charity donated after a big sponsored walk they had done - I had to help unpack, check, dry and repack nearly 100
watching people mud wrestle
micheals
walmart
job lot
the staff kitchen where we had to protect our food for chipmunks, squirrels, mice and other staff.
cooking with the campers
singing camp songs
singing the Hippo song every time we saw the CD cos it was her fav song
making randomly shaped dipped candle
THE SUN
being myself
cooking for friends (actually I miss that about uni too)
cheap ben and jerries

Like shelley the list could go on.
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

by Shelley0789 » 03 Nov 2007, 23:04

OH MY GOD!!! we had about 100 of those bright pink tents that a breast cancer charity donated 2!!! hahaha!

although ours, we unpacked, put up, left out to dry and then it poured with rain (first time in weeks) so we had to leave them out for other people tp pack away once they had dried again!

the day camp meadow looked so funny with them all on there, then every now and again a couple of us would go out and roll them over to dry a different side and put them back in the sun!

and as for mud wrestling, one of the funniest parts of pre camp '06 was when it tipped it down with rain and the meadow was knee deep, so after the practice hootananny and last night campfire that we had to have in trefoil we all (just staff) went out and basically mud wrestled in the big puddle then had a shower party in dewdrop. It was so much fun, even pixie who was camp director that summer joined in!

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

by Anna2605 » 03 Nov 2007, 23:40

We had waited until the last week of camp - during the weekend session I was on clean up and that was one of our jobs - we had to lay them out cos it took less time (but took more space) so it took us 2 days to do them all - I was sick of the sight of them by the time we we were finished, and very frustrated cos one of the girls who was "helping" would take so long to do one tent that we had each done 2 or 3 in the time it took her to do one. But they were sooooooo much easier to put up than the old A frame/T-bone ones that we had.

We had a mud wrestling pit on the beach - so that is where we would go to wrestle. My last year at hoffman the meadow got that flooded - the lifeguard brought the little-bitties up to play when they had swim lessons - it was really funny to see them lying on li-los which were floating in the meadow.

I am going to miss pranks toooooo

This summer we filled the CDs yurt with over 400 balloons - good thing she had gone home for the weekend cos it took all day and involved about 10 of including the waterfront and adventure directors, and also several trips our for extra balloons. In my mind it was as good as the shower prank we pulled at hoffman in 04. On the door of the yurt we taped a note with a fork that simple said - you might need this - and then we all tagged it.

The balloons were then used for 4th July, then the ad staff put them in the dreamworker cabin, then they put them in the tent city (where all the ad staff lived) portapotty.
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

by Sarah4810 » 06 Nov 2007, 15:17

Anna2605 wrote:i am exactly the same - everyday I check, but no change. So i check again later and still no change. The worst thing is the last couple of days I wasnt able to check cos my computer wasn't working and I hated that cos I couldn't check. I also check my mail every day for the letter from camp tha I know isn't going to arrive until at least the end of this month, maybe mid december. The waiting is the worst thing when you are like me and very impatient.

So end of this month/next month the status should change? Ack waiting is the worst. I already know that my camp want to rehire me, I just want it in writing and want to get everything done asap just so I know I've done it all! haha.

That prank with the balloons sounds hilarious! It reminds me a little of my birthday. I'm an insanely heavy sleeper so on the evening of my birthday my co-counselors and 2 CITs blew up loads of balloons and wrote things on them and then absolutely covered my bed and counselor section with green and yellow balloons! It was so funny.
[/url]

by Anna2605 » 06 Nov 2007, 18:11

I am the same - at my end of summer eval I was told they would rehire me, but I need to get it confirmed before my app can move forward. It just seems to be taking ages. Last night I was really camp-sick. I never, ever get home sick but I was camp sick - i cant wait for next summer.
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

by Sarah4810 » 06 Nov 2007, 21:12

People warned me about getting camp sick - I didn't believe them. But my goodness I get so camp sick, practically every day I think about camp and how much I miss it. Scrap that, in fact I definitely think about camp every day! I get USA sick too, I miss that country so much. I think I'llprobably end up living there (if I can)! Next year I'm hoping to do a study abroad option after camp so I'll be in North Carolina for 6 months in total. I can't wait. However, the visa situation is very confusing!

Where is your camp Anna?
[/url]

by Anna2605 » 06 Nov 2007, 22:43

I wasn't even warned about camp sickness, although I had known people who had worked at camps I hadn't had any contact with them in the year or so before I went to camp.

I miss the USA too - cos I love all the craft shops and walmart and all that. I too would love to live in the USA. I would love to work at a year round camp for a year or two and then go back to school, but like you I am not sure about whole visa thing - maybe CA needs a branch for people who want to work at year round camps. I dont think that I can go 3 days with out part of my wardrobe being something with Camp Chenoa on it.

My camp was in New Hampshire, kind of half way between Keene and Concord. It sits right on a lake and it was really pretty - that being said aren't all camps. Where was your camp?
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

by Sarah4810 » 06 Nov 2007, 23:27

I think that's a good idea, we should definitely tackle CA about it! I tried to contact CA last year (when I thought I was going to be studying abroad) to see if I could do both but they didn't really seem to know anything to be honest. Kept getting different answers from different people everytime I got in contact.

I always wear Merri-Mac clothing but no one ever asks me about it, which I would love them to! I just want to talk about camp all the time, no one here understands whatsoever.

My camp is in North Carolina, about 20 minutes away from Asheville, 2 hours from Charlotte. Right on the Blue Ridge mountains, beautiful (like you say, like all camps are!)
[/url]

by Anna2605 » 07 Nov 2007, 11:55

I am the same, some people ask about where camp chenoa is but the people who I am reluctant to tell dont ask so I am not going to tell them. Some of my family new that I was going to work at a camp, but I didn't tell them it was in the USA cos of the reactions when I told them that my friend wanted me to go back cos I wasn't working, so I decided they didn't need to know where exactly the camp was. They never ask exactly where the camp was so it saves problems.

I think when you do have problems at home knowing that you are going to somewhere that you know that you are happy.
Camp Chenoa Rocks!

by Sarah4810 » 08 Nov 2007, 13:05

Why do they not want you to go to the USA? Do they think you should get a 'proper job'? I always get told that I should get a proper job, being at uni and being totally broke and all. My dad was so mad when he found out I spent my earnings last summer on travelling, plus a chunk of my savings.

Yeah I totally agree. It's funny because that is the one place that I feel totally loved, all the time. It's just so funny how camp is nothing like real life. Amazing, love it.
[/url]

Next