Youth Leadership Award
The Camp America run International Youth Leadership Award scheme not only gives young women aged 18-19 an increased chance of placement but it also provides them with a learning platform to develop valuable skills and experience that employers look for in potential employees.
The programme comprises of:
- online Learning Activities (modules), which you'll complete in your own time
- online social media group for support and connection to other IYLA programme participants
- on course support and advice from professional trainers and coaches and Camp America staff
- exclusive Training Day* for IYLA participants, and
- a special 'invite only' to Camp America run Girl Scout recruitment event in London on Saturday, 25th January 2014
*The IYLA programme culminates with a special Training Day in London (April 2014 - specific date TBC) which brings together all aspects of the programme and gives participants a chance to meet each other before setting off for their extraordinary summer adventures.
What are people saying?
2011 was the first year of IYLA and, as our previous participants can attest, it was a rip-roaring success!
"Camp America's International Youth Leadership Award is a great way to receive an extracurricular award which only requires a little of your spare time to participate in. The girls all had the chance to meet other IYLA participants who they would spend their summer working with through a Facebook group and a Training get-together in April. JOIN IN, BE SILLY! This is your own gateway to be YOU! I wish you all the fun that I had in my first summer as a counsellor. Summer 2014 - make it a summer to remember! Love, Sinatra (Laura Thomson)"
Remember, while summer camps have similarities in the way they structure their outdoor activities, they have large dining room areas for mealtimes or staff lead and teach the campers, each camp has very different facilities with some being more rustic and outdoorsy than others. Whatever Girl Scout camp you end up going to, your experience will be entirely what YOU MAKE IT! Check out Beth's experience at Camp Favorite, a Girl Scout camp in Massachusetts:
During camp, as part of the IYLA scheme, participants are given the responsibility to showcase what they have learned from the programme; by hosting evening activities and creating their own activities and schedules for the campers and staff to enjoy. Participants will also receive a Certificate of Completion, which can be included on your CV and used as evidence of experience and to prove your ability to future employment opportunities!
To qualify for the IYLA scheme you must:
- apply from the UK or Republic of Ireland (at this time IYLA is only available to applicants in these regions)
- complete your online Camp America application, including your top 5 skill areas (applications are now OPEN for the 2014 season). Please Note: The IYLA programme has a limited capacity of 75 places, so please apply early (we operate on a first come, first served basis)
- be aged 18-19 through summer 2014 (as well as the time of your application)
- be available to depart for the USA between May 1st and June 20th 2014
- willing to work on a Girl Scout camp
- make your first payment of £69 and IYLA programme payment of £50 upon acceptance onto the IYLA programme
Girl-Guiding experience is preferred but not essential!
To download the IYLA 2014 Programme Introduction please click here
If you qualify for the IYLA programme AND you've completed your Camp America online application, please contact Katie Williams at the Camp America London office: email@example.com with subject line "IYLA 2014". Katie can also be reached by telephone on +44 (0)207 581 7373. Selections will be notified within 72 hours of contacting Katie.